Bengaluru’s Hanging Bridge

Bengaluru’s Hanging Bridge

Krishnaraja Puram:

In recent years, KR Puram or Krishnarajapuram, located in East Bengaluru, 15 kilo-metres away from the Bengaluru City railway station, has evolved into a space where history remains entangled with its dusty roads, crowded residences and uneven commercialization. The reality behind its name, or the various names it has adopted since many centuries, has long been forgotten.  The Bangalore District Gazeteer published in 1990 traces the name back to Krishnaraja Wadiyar III, who ruled the provincial State of Mysore from 1799 to 1868. People, however, speculate that it might even be attributed to his predecessor, Immadi Krishnarajendra Wodeyar, who ruled between 1734 and 1766 A.D.

Traces of the reverence many of these heroes once enjoyed lie buried in parts of KR Puram even today . One of the prominent ones is the Marya inscription.  Legend goes that under the rule of the Ganga dynasty King Sripurusha, there was a village hero called Mareya who protected the villages against dacoits and sacrificed his life in the process. The hero-stone inscription near today’s Mahabaleshwara temple records this incident.  The exact location of the stone, however, remains unknown. This constituency has 9 wards.  The Hanging bridge at K.P.Puram is a well known land mark of this constituency.

The Hanging bridge of Benglauru:

The cable-stayed bridge at Krishnarajapuram in Bangalore has bagged the most outstanding national bridge award conferred by the Indian Institution of Bridge Engineers.

The 230-meter bridge, including the 180-meter cable stayed portion, was constructed by South Western Railway over the Krishnarajapuram Railway Station Yard on the busy Bengaluru-Chennai highway. The bridge was inaugurated on January 26, 2003 by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.

South Western Railway Deputy General Manager  Mr. Prem Narayan and Deputy Chief Engineer Mr. Vijay Kumar, supervised its construction,

The cables themselves, the pylons supporting them, and the way the material was transported to the site are considered unique in engineering and logistics. The Garden City Skyway Bridge, as it has been named, passes over five tracks.

The technology of holding such structures with strong cables came from a design developed by Swiss engineers 50 years ago. Thousands of metres of wire measuring 12 mm in diameter was imported from Kobe, Japan, by Usha Martin Co. of Ranchi.

The 1,830-metre bridge will have four lanes for traffic. The cables take the entire load of vehicles passing on the bridge — up to 300 tonnes at a time — and will pass on the load pressure to the pylons which in turn will pass it to the ground. The cable inclination with the towers varies from 23.7 degrees to 74 degrees. The longest cable is 113 meters.

The bridge is a joint venture of the Union Ministry of Surface Transport, Southern Railways, and the State Government. The Railways have shared the bulk of the total cost of Rs. 47 crores. Even as the bridge was under construction, city planners and engineers from places such as Patna, Nainital, and Ahmedabad came here to study it and examine if the technology could be replicated.

Leave Your Comment